Friday, December 2, 2016

Servicing Grenades

I was exploring a vintage electronic installation in my city vestry once when I came across assembly instructions for hand grenades on a coil of 8mm film -- inside the installation. Yesterday I rediscovered the coil of film (pictured). The 8mm format would most likely place this in the early 1960s. The armed struggle in South Africa began in 1958, and 8mm film went out in 1965. OBSERVATION: But who would have put these instructions in the vestry? And why were they abandoned? It would have been someone with sure and unhurried access to the vestry -- unlikely the caretaker because he surely didn't have a key. The minister at that time was definitely progressive, but not revolutionary. My father's ministry in the same Church began in 1969. Whatever the intentions, this was unlawful. One never knows who's who in the Church.

No comments: