Monday, September 12, 2016

Diary Of A Civil War

This one's not for sensitive readers. I visited Cambodia during a time of civil war. An estimated 20% of the country was still under control of the Khmer Rouge at the time. My diary surely describes it better than I could do it myself today. This page (shown) describes a walk through the city Phnom Penh, on the 20th of March 1994: "All the way we had seen people minus limbs, and here even more. People with hands blown off, eyes blown out, legs blown off, begging ... severely malnourished children ... troop-carriers racing through the city at great speed, with gung-ho soldiers ..." OBSERVATION: People seemed beyond being able to care, and were terrified of a full return to war. And I never saw the world the same way again. You may click on the image to enlarge.

No comments: