Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Big Confessions

Have you seen the movie Soylent Green? It was a classic, starring Charlton Heston as a detective, and Lincoln Kilpatrick as a priest. The priest receives a shocking confession: the state is turning people into food. One may indeed hear shocking confessions in ministry: someone intends to commit a serious crime, someone confesses to a serious crime, or someone says they have uncovered a serious crime. By and large, in such situations, I have done three things: • I have kept it confidential, and continued confidential counselling. • I have done all that I can to help the person deal with the situation themselves. And • with them, I have sought to lead them to trust God to work a solution (which need not mean inaction). OBSERVATION: Depending what the situation is, the hazards of personal involvement, for a minister, can be high.

No comments: