Saturday, October 22, 2016

Student Impressions

I find it very interesting and rewarding interacting with university students in South Africa. It's a long time since I was a (young) student, so it's hard to know "where I was" at that time. I pick up some general trends. • Students struggle deeply with the split personality, the major contradictions, of South African society. How does one reconcile it all? • There is a tendency to limit their thinking. They could be thinking more broadly, holistically, taking more into account. They would find more answers. Options which are there seem closed to them. • They often carry the weight of not being able to appreciate just how well they are doing, how much they are learning, where they are going. Encouragement matters a lot to them. [I deleted further thoughts, in the interests of simplicity].

No comments: