Thursday, December 8, 2016

Jumping Spider

I am (or was) well known for electronic design – which I did for fun. In 2007, I invented the world’s first electric jumping spider. This (above) was the very first working prototype – it's a three-second video. My final design was copyright ©Wimborne before the Chinese produced one, and the Chinese were familiar with Wimborne's copyrights. It is therefore assumed that the Chinese (legally) based their electric jumping spider on this, which is now on sale worldwide. The Chinese, however, made a significant improvement – they removed the wire tether. I myself could imagine that, but it was beyond my engineering skills. OBSERVATION: This first working prototype was stupidly simple, but it took months of experimentation to hit on the winning idea.

No comments: