Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Memories Of A Mission Ship

I had the privilege as a boy of sailing for years on the last mission ship of the great missionary era, the John Williams VII. Here are some memories:
• My father tearing open the fridge door when the ship rolled away from him, slamming it shut before the ship rolled back. And mistiming it once.
• My mother flying backwards across the cabin as the ship rolled, and the bunk ladder flying after her and striking her.
• My sister and I rolling toy cars to one another up and down the dining room table as the ship rolled.
•  Seeing water pour into the dining room at one side, then on the other side of the ship's "second floor" as the ship rolled.
• Watching the sonar to see the ship clearing the reef (just).
• Schools of dolphins swimming before the prow of the ship, and flying fish darting in all directions.
• Me being dragged down the ship's deck after catching a fish too powerful for me (maybe a swordfish).
• Watching the launch slam, slam, slam into the side of the ship, and timing the jump across. My father mistimed it once, and got pounded between launch and ship.
OBSERVATION: The ship is mentioned on Wikipedia: John Williams. On Google Images it curiously appears on the same page as the Titanic. Not surprisingly, I do not suffer from seasickness today, no matter how rough the ocean.

No comments: